Advisor

McNeill, Jeanette

Committee Member

Hummel, Faye

Department

Nursing

Institution

University of Northern Colorado

Type of Resources

Text

Place of Publication

Greeley (Colo.)

Publisher

University of Northern Colorado

Date Created

8-2019

Genre

Thesis

Extent

61 pages

Digital Origin

Born digital

Abstract

The purpose of this thesis project was to identify the need for self-management through investigating the existing knowledge about diabetes self-care and their perception of diabetic control in adult patients with type-2 diabetes Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. The 16-Item Diabetes Self Management Questionnaire (Schmitt et al., 2013) and a cross-sectional design was used in this study to explore the diabetes self management related to four subscales such as glucose management, dietary control, physical activity, health-care use and a sum scale as the perception of diabetic control among fifty five participants who were diagnosed with type-2 diabetes in Tan Phu District Hospital, Ho Chi Minh City. The study found that the age of the participants ranged from 40 to 83 years old, and the average age was 62 years old with more female (65.5%) than male (34.5%). They all had formal schooling at least elementary level, and 27.4% had higher education level (university or higher). The majority of them were retired (65.5%). The participants were all diagnosed with type-2 diabetes and their diabetes duration ranged from 1 to 30 years. The findings showed that respondents’ knowledge about diabetes self- management seemed overall to be sufficient since the mode of each item showed that they positively understood and applied the facts which were appropriate for their diabetes self-care activities. Then, the last item included as an overall sum scale varied by the demographic characteristics to generally explore participants’ perception of diabetic control. In general, the findings showed that most of the participants agreed that their diabetes self care was not poor (34.5% male never believed that their diabetes self-care was poor, and the rest of 65.5% female rarely believed that their diabetes self-care was poor). In conclusion, this study suggests that health professionals in Vietnam should use reliable and valid tools, such as this questionnaire from Schmitt et al. (2013), to have better understanding about patient’s self-care. Health professionals can use this information to provide diabetic patients with a suitable health education program. In addition, more research related to diabetes self-care needs to be conducted to provide more evidence-based information to support patients with diabetes in Vietnam.

Degree type

MS

Degree Name

Master

Language

English

Local Identifiers

LeThesis2019

Rights Statement

Copyright is held by the author

Share

COinS